2005 CATAAlliance Innovation Awards
OTTAWA, ONTARIO, June 21, 2005 - The winners of the 2005 CATAAlliance Innovation Awards were announced Tuesday night at a sold out Gala Dinner, emceed by CJOH TechNow Host Paul Brent. For two decades, the CATAAlliance Innovation Awards Gala Dinner has been celebrating the best in Canadian advanced technology.
At the Awards evening, co hosted by Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLB, Ernst & Young and the Royal Bank of Canada, the 2005 Award Winners were recognized for their innovation, expertise, and leadership in Canada's advanced technology community.
Awards were presented in the following areas:
- Sara Kirke Award for Woman Entrepreneurship: Debbie Moffat, Founder, Keshet Technologies Inc., and Isabelle Bettez, President & CEO, 8D Technologies Inc.
- Pratt & Whitney Canada Award for Outstanding Product Achievement: ReportNet version 1.1, Cognos Inc.
- Public Sector Leadership: Jim Forbes, Manager Systems Engineering, University Health Network
- Science and Technology Reporting: Colin Trethewey, CTV Technology Reporter
- Emerging Technology: Xerox's Emulsion Aggregation Toner Technology, Xerox Research Centre of Canada
- Private Sector Leadership: Bruce Lazenby, President & CEO, FreeBalance Inc.
In keeping with the theme of Innovation and Leadership, Dr. Ronald Worton, CEO and Scientific Director, Molecular Medicine, Ottawa Health Research Institute, provided a glimpse into leading stem cell research, the overwhelming possibilities and a sense of what the very near future holds. Ottawa South MP, David McGuinty, also congratulated the Awards winners and provided perspectives on Canadian Innovation.
John Reid, CATA President said, "These award winners have shown that they are innovators and skilled business people. They are role models for the development of commercially successful enterprises in Canada. CATA's role as their advocate is to ensure that we create a rich foundation of programs and initiatives that enable leading entrepreneurs to launch their products and exploit their new business opportunities.